The term “Shadow Person” is one sure fire method to send a chill down anyone’s spine. The idea that there could exist shadowy creatures lurking in the dark waiting to wreak havoc on humans is downright disturbing. According to the people who like to edit Wikipedia, the Shadow People phenomena wasn’t even popularized until it was mentioned on the late night radio talk show Coast to Coast AM with Art Bell, on April 12, 2001. The Internet has also helped raise interest in these mysterious beings. Sketches and personal stories are abundant on websites but whatever the catalyst was that ignited their popularity, Shadow People are now a part of paranormal study and investigation.
I personally have experienced Shadow People at the Felt Mansion in Saugatuck, Michigan. What we saw that night was unexplained and caused chills to run up and down everyone that witnessed the strangeness that night. The experience can be read here.
Shadow People have a list of traits that signify their presence. Here are some of the common things people have reported:
1. A dark, human shaped, shadowy body. Usually, gives off a “male” presence and is sometimes reported as having red, glowing eyes. Sometimes they are reported wearing a cloak/cape and a brimmed hat.
2. Appearing at the foot of a person’s bed at night and intensely staring.
3. They typically do not try and communicate but seem to have an intelligence about them.
4. Showing up at supposed haunted locations, especially cemeteries. Also, reports of them in wooded areas have gone back for centuries.
5. Many people report seeing these figures in their peripheral vision.
6. Having feelings of fear and panic when a shadow person is nearby.
Paranormal researcher, Rosemary Ellen Guiley has studied the Shadow Person phenomena for some time, collecting stories from people who have had experiences with these disturbing figures of the paranormal. She describes Shadow People as, “One of the most common, most mysterious and most scary of all paranormal experiences.” But what are they? Are they ghosts? Are they demons? Or are they something else not even of this planet or dimension? The idea that Shadow People could have an extraterrestrial connection is a theory heavily discussed among Shadow People researchers as well as the idea they could be some sort of “time travelers.”
Getting a little too “out there” for you yet?
Most feel that Shadow People are not “ghosts” in the truest sense of the definition. These are not the souls of people who have passed on. They are not our family members come back to watch over us. They are something else onto their own.
Whatever the case, there are thousands of stories out there concerning the topic of Shadow People and they seem to be on the rise. Have you had a Shadow Person experience? Write or comment below.